I finally hit publish on my post Reel Life Intern: Weeks 1 & 2 Diabetes and would now like to talk a bit about my Congregate Feeding rotation.
Congregate Feeding at SLAAA
I completed my Congregate Feeding rotation at St. Louis Area Agency on Aging (SLAAA), which provides social services to the senior population here in St. Louis City. They disperse and coordinate many services for seniors that allow older adults to age in place and remain active members of the community. Even though my time at SLAAA was focused on the Elderly Nutrition Program, I learned that there are many free and very low cost services available to older adults that can help them to continue to live independently such as transportation, medical care, minor home repair, assistance with chores, and socialization activities.
The PowerPoint presentation from my post management.
Speaking on human metabolism and physiology is not something that do on this blog, but I did on another blog I created for my human nutrition, physiology, and metabolism class. You can read my scientific spiel at Metabolically Speaking.
Photo Credit: Hey Paul Studios
Yep folks semester one is done! As of today I’m on break for 2-weeks. Can you tell by all those question marks and exclamation points that I’m in disbelief? I have accomplished a LOT! In what, 16 weeks?! And although I have failed to share the play-by-play in real time, I now have time to recap. So let’s start with my top 5 dietetic internship moments thus far.
Top 5 Dietetic Internship Moments Fall Edition
1. Meeting the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics President-Elect (incoming president), Dr. Evelyn Crayton, PhD, RD, LD
2. Observing several GI procedures including about 3 Endoscopies and 1 Colonoscopy (Sounds gross…I know, but they were truly amazing)
3. Attending the Food and Nutrition Expo and Conference (FNCE) in Atlanta, Georgia
4. Preparing an Artisan menu for Food Day 2014, which took place in the Saint Louis University Department of Nutrition and Dietetics garden.
5. Gardening days in the department garden.
AND, President-Elect, Dr. Evelyn Crayton, PhD, RD, LD
FNCE 2014, Atlanta, GA
Food Day 2014
Food Day 2014
Feelin’ Up-Beet in the SLU Garden
Harvest from SLU’s Garden
Still, I cannot believe that I’m half way through!
If you’re a dietetic intern, let’s chat! Share your top 5 dietetic internship moments thus far in the comments.